What is HGH?
Human growth hormone (HGH) is the most important element of the human hormone system.
HGH is released by the pituitary gland.
It is a small gland that almost looks like a pea and is situated at the base of the brain that produces several hormones and is a major part of the endocrine system.
Why do we need HGH?
During our childhood and adolescence this hormone is necessary to promote growth in terms of height and helps to provide the longevity of our organs.
In adulthood, its presence leads to a healthier body composition and is responsible for such important jobs as:
- Helps in retaining a toned body
- Reduces fat storage
- Toughens the bones and joints
- Increases the health and longevity of organs during the passage of time and increase of age
- Promotes faster growth of hair and nails
- Ameliorates blood circulation
- Regulates the cholesterol level in the body
- Prevents early aging and promotes youthful zeal for a longer period of time
What is the relation between exercise and HGH levels?
There are several kinds of mental stimuli that can cause HGH secretion in the body.
However, research tells us that the most potent ones are exercise and sleep.
Both of them are non pharmacological and we do them throughout our lives irrespective of age.
HGH secretion is a natural and normal process that takes place throughout life and is crucial in our growth, transformation of muscles, collagen, bones and metabolism of food and energy conversion.
Although we know that exercise helps in stimulating HGH secretion, the exact mechanism is unknown.
However, experiments have proved that exercise-induced growth hormone response (EIGR) has become a well known term in the dictionary of fat loss tricks and healthy living.
EIGR aids in several ways:
- alteration in acid-base balance
- neural input
- direct stimulation by catecholamines, nitric oxide, and/or lactate
Of these, the best candidates appear to be nitric oxide, afferent stimulation, and lactate.
Resistance training and endurance training are considered very important in significant EIGR.
Resistance Training works on the basis of the load and frequency used during an exercise phase.
Endurance Training works on the basis of duration, intensity, frequency, and the kind of exercise we perform.
The greater the load we carry during exercise including assorted other movements of additional body parts, the better is the secretion of growth hormones.
These exercises are practiced beyond the lactate threshold for a minimum of 10 minutes at a time to encourage the release of growth hormones for at least a day. However, an excess of this kind of training causes a reverse effect on growth hormone.
Also, it leads to increase in cortisol secretion that causes excess tiredness. Hence, on average, 10 minutes of this exercise is perfect to attain the goal.
Choosing the right training program is essential for ideal EIGR. Exercises are the key to good health and definitely help in preventing aging. With aging, we have a lesser degree in the intensity of exercises.
Exercise always helps to prevent the bitter result of aging. That is why athletes always live to a greater age than others who live a shorter life span.
They are also more often mentally sharper with better eye sight and more energy for hard work because they are not victims of obesity or fatigue.
- Along with good exercise and regular sleep, eat fruits, vegetables, and lot of protein rich foods.
- Avoid sugar immediately after rigorous training.
- We can’t stop the fact that with aging our HGH secretion will keep decreasing. But we can ease the chances of a rapid decrease and can make the decrease much slower.